Thursday, April 1, 2010

So is it a cookie or a cupcake?

Today's recipe was Snickerdoodle Cupcakes with seven minute frosting. And the question is: is it more like a cookie or a cupcake. Well, I'll tell you. It's a cupcake, however they taste exactly like a snickerdoodle (at least I think they do, you may beg to differ). These little guys were as easy as it gets. No double boiler, no melting chocolate, no tempering. Nothing. Well, at least the cupcake part was easy. I had a bit of difficulty with the frosting, but we'll get to that in a minute.

Ingredients:
Cupcakes
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups cake flour (not self-rising)
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon, plus 1/2 teaspoon for dusting
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 3/4 cups sugar, plus 2 tablespoons for dusting
4 large eggs, room temperature
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups milk
Seven-Minute Frosting
1 1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons sugar
2/3 cup water
6 large egg whites, room temperature
So the cupcakes were easy. Just mix your dry ingredients in one bowl, your wet ingredients in another and then combine, alternating flour mixture and milk. Simple as... well, simple as snickerdoodle cupcakes. Honestly the most difficult part of this whole experiment was the frosting. Problem A- I didn't follow the directions... I don't recommend doing that. My boyfriend's mother told me that it was easier to make this frosting in the double boiler, because it makes the frosting fluffier. But that's not what The Book says to do. So next time, note to self, follow The Book. Problem B- If you are going to use a double boiler (which I don't recommend) make sure it is big enough for all the frosting. Because there is a lot of it. Anyway, long story short, this frosting kicked my butt. FAIL.


But at least they turned out nicely!


See, just sprinkle a little bit of cinnamon-sugar on the top, and no one will ever know that the seven minute frosting kicked your butt like no other recipe had before.



And boy are they tasty!



So go and share these with your friends. I know they'll appreciate it. Because who doesn't enjoy a little comfort food? I know I'm always game for a little slice of childhood wrapped up in cupcake paper.


1 comments:

Miss M said...

I love your blog! I got the The Book for Christmas but was too timid to try some of the recipes! Can't wait to see your take on them!

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com